Legal residence in Iceland, others than EEA/EFTA citizens

Citizens of states that are not member states of the EEA or EFTA agreements must apply for a residence permit at the Directorate of Immigration if they intend to stay in Iceland for longer than three months.

A residence permit is a requirement for legal residence in Iceland.

The booklet 'First steps for citizens from non-EEA and EFTA-member states' gives detailed information about most things concerned with immigrating to Iceland. The booklet can be obtained in a web publication and a printable version here.

Below is an overview and some sort of a checklist for the primary items and issues that citizens of non EEA/EFTA countries need to keep in mind if they intend to immigrate to Iceland.

Before arriving to the country

Basic conditions for a residence permit

After arriving to the country