Statement regarding enquiries to the Multicultural Centre and the Directorate of Immigration

14.12.2016 Fréttir

Recently the Directorate of Immigration and the Multicultural Centre have received many enquiries from men wishing to marry Icelandic women in exchange for a payment from the Icelandic government.  Some media outlets have also posted “news” about this on the web.

These “news” are fake and not based on facts.

You cannot move to Iceland and get paid to marry an Icelandic woman.

You cannot buy a residence permit or citizenship.

Any such offer, from inside Iceland or outside, is fraudulent and an attempt to cheat money off people.

Citizens of countries outside the European Economic Area need to get a residence permit before they move to Iceland. People who do not have any relatives in Iceland and have never lived there before can apply for a residence permit on the following grounds:

Work related:

You can apply for a residence permit as a specialist, an athlete or because there is a shortage of people in the workforce. You need to submit a signed job contract with the application. People need to find work on their own, they do not get assistance for that from Icelandic authorities.

To study:

If you join a full-time study program at an Icelandic university you have a basis for applying for a residence permit. You need to have your placement at the university verified when you apply.

Au pair:

The applicant needs to be between the ages of 18-25 years.

The permit is valid for one year and you cannot take on another job while you are in Iceland.


Asylum /International protection

People who wish to apply for asylum/international protection in Iceland need to be in Iceland when they do so.

If a member state of the Dublin agreement confirms its responsibility for processing the application, the applicant is usually escorted to that country.

If the applicant is a citizen of a country that is considered safe and the application is deemed manifestly unfounded, the application is rejected. 

You can get further information about asylum/international protection in Iceland on the website of the Directorate of Immigration. There you can also find information about residence permits based on family reunification.




Senda grein